WHAT THE OEM DOES AND WHERE THEY ARE BASED?
NOV Fiberglass Systems is an arm of National Oilwell Varco (NOV) Group that specializes in providing composite piping systems, fittings and structures to the oil and gas, chemical, marine, offshore, fuel handling, and mining industries, breaking tradition and challenging the norm of metallic solutions. With facilities located throughout the world, NOV has its headquarters in San Antonio, Texas, USA.
Bell Oil and Gas (BOG) is a local representative for NOV Fiberglass Systems (FGS). BOG is responsible for the sales and services of NOV FGS’s composite piping systems, fittings and structures to clients in the Nigerian oil and gas industry. We have been in partnership for over a decade.
THE BENEFIT OF THE RELATIONSHIP TO US AND THE OEM
This relationship has resulted in solving corrosion challenges faced by oil and gas exploration & production companies in terrains where the operations are carried out, while exceeding expectations in weight and cost Apex and Opex savings. Through this, Bell Oil and Gas has been able to solve challenges and add value to clients’ operations, hence getting revenue for BOG and our OEM (original equipment manufacturer) (NOV FGS).
DETAILS OF PRODUCTS AND SERVICES NOV OFFERS
NOV Fiberglass Systems brings over 60 years of experience in the oil and gas sector with its offering of the most highly recognized and respected brands in the industry. These brands include;
- Bondstrand™ Red Thread™
- Green Thread™
- Ceram Core™
- Silver Streak™
- Red Thread IIA™
For the oil and gas industry, the products manufactured by NOV FGS are; Line Pipes: These line pipes fall in two categories;
Rigid Pipe (STAR, Red Thread HP and Bondstrand)
As the name implies, these are composite pipe materials in rigid form like line pipes. They come in standard nominal joint length of 12 m (40 ft). These pipes are manufactured in sizes ranging from 11/2” through 42” (40 – 1050 mm) in diameter and will handle pressures from 150 psi to 3,500 psi (1 – 24.1 MPa) depending on size, and temperature up to 212°F (100°C).
Spoolable Pipe (Fiberspar)
These are composite pipe materials which can wind on a reel. These pipes are made of an inner thermoplastic pressure barrier that is reinforced by high-strength glass fibers embedded in an epoxy matrix; intended for corrosive gathering and injection applications, including general and sour produced fluids and gases.
The spoolable pipe is available with high-density polyethylene or high-temperature polyethylene pressure barriers with temperature ratings to 140°F (60°C), 180°F (82°C) and 203°F (95°C). These high-pressure pipes [3,500 psi (24.1 MPa)] immune to corrosion are available in continuous lengths of up to 9,000 ft (2,743 m), depending on the pipe’s size.
Downhole Tubing and Casing
As a result of its unique proprietary fiberglass layering sequence, which provides superior tensile performance, NOV Fiberglass Systems is the leading downhole GRE producer in the industry.
The tubing is offered in 11/2” through 95/8” diameters (40 to 250 mm), with pressure ratings from 1,000 to 3,500 psi (6.9 to 24.1 MPa), as well as casing products. NOV FGS offers GRE downhole tubing and casing products produced with three distinct curing agents temperatures up to 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degree C). All products come in standard nominal joint lengths of 30 ft (9.1 m).
These downhole products are used in a variety of highly corrosive applications such as saltwater and CO2 injection wells, for corrosion control; in observation wells for monitoring formations where steel can interfere with monitoring equipment and in producing where steel products corrode easily.
- Advanced Composite Thread (ACT) The ACT connection is manufactured with a special composite consisting of epoxy, graphite and ceramic. These materials with a Teflon base lubricant or proprietary sealant and the consistent tolerances of ACT, provide exceptional seal ability to high pressure fluids and gases with excellent make-up and break-out performance. The molded ACT provides higher thread shear and chemical resistance and is preferred over cut or ground fiberglass threads for downhole tubing.
- Taper/Taper These adhesive bonded matched joints are the primary system used for Red Thread HP and Bondstrand piping systems. The pipe is supplied with one end belled and one end tapered. Epoxy adhesive is used to secure the joint.
- CEN CEN is a 4-thread per inch modified ACME thread (non-sealing) joint that seals with an O-ring seal fitted within a groove in the male end. It is used primarily in low pressure flow line or transfer applications in pressures from 500 psi (3.5 MPa) and temperatures up to 212°F (100°C).
- SP/SPHSP/SPH joints are 4 threads-per-inch with round form (SP) or buttress (SPH) profiled sealing threads. A secondary seal is provided by an O-ring gasket filled within a groove in the male end. This exceptionally user-friendly connection is used in high pressure applications up to 2,500 psi (17.2 MPa) and temperatures up to 212°F (100°C).
- Precision Ground Thread (PGT) PGT connection is produced with numerically controlled grinding equipment and the tolerances provided by PGT require only the use of Teflon base lubricant or proprietary sealant for make-up. The PGT connection is manufactured according to the industry standard EUE 8rd or OD 8rd thread, as is the case for the ACT thread described in the upper left.
- STAR Super Seal (SS, SS HP) This is fast, reliable and all-weather conducive. Mechanical O-rings are standard Nitrile for normal applications up to 212°F (100°C.
OEM’S POSITION ON MAINTAINING STANDARDS AND QUALITY
NOV FGS’ commitment to quality extends throughout the company and supplier network. All products are closely monitored during production and thoroughly tested. Quality standards are strictly enforced and reinforced with production employee incentives and quality audits, without leaving out third party inspections. The API Q1 Quality Rating is a requirement for approval by API 15HR and API 15LR. The quality and performance requirements of API assure the customer that, not only does NOV FGS have a quality system, but Customers also receive a product qualified and approved for performance standards. NOV FGS’ adherence to this internationally recognized quality system is another indication of their commitment to their global role as a manufacturer of the highest quality GRE products.
TECHNOLOGIES AND APPLICATIONS
Fiberspar for Downhole Application
Recently, NOV Fiberglass Systems introduced a spoolable lift system for downhole applications up to 3,500 ft (1,067 m) depth. This revolutionary system is aimed at artificial lift operations, mainly the rapid and simple deployment of electrical submersible pumps. This system has the potential to eliminate the use of workover and drilling rigs, reduce the time required to deploy and replace pumps, and change the performance profile required to deploy and replace pumps, and change the performance profile required from electrical submersible pumps while significantly lowering production and artificial lift installation and operating costs.
The system utilizes smart Pipe which incorporates embedded power conductors into the body of the pipe, eliminating the need for externally banded cable, a major source of damage and failure. The system entails a simple design with tubing sizes from 11/2” through 2” (40 – 50 mm), with pressures up to 3,500 psi (24.1 MPa).
This is an NOV FGS’ well simulation analysis program developed to analyse actual well conditions so that the correct tubing products can be recommended to the customer. Often
a series of conditions will be evaluated using the worst- and best-case scenarios, thereby assuring the customer that the product will give years of trouble-free service.
BOG team members with rigid pipes
spoolable fibers on a field
Layers in a spoolable pipe
Bell and spigot