Representatives of BOG at the Forum
Standards Organisation of Nigeria Management System Certification (SON-MSC) Directorate organized a stakeholders’ forum for its clients and potential clients on 27th, February. The forum was to give the attendees updates on requirements for certification as stipulated by the international accreditation body. It was also designed to create value-adding interactions between certified clients and SON-MSC Officials on the 27th of February.
SON’s Director, Management System Certification, Engr Felix T. Nyando welcomed participants. He said this year’s forum was very strategic as it would offer SON-MSC Officials an opportunity to receive undiluted feedback on the performance of the SON’s Management System Certification.
SON-MSC according to him, had continually updated its processes in order to meet up with current expectations of the International Accreditation Forum (IAF). He noted that the certification process and schemes must be in line with international standards.
Mr. Nyando pointed out that, SON-MSC services “prides itself as the biggest Management System Certification Body in Africa today and that they are well resourced to deliver Quality Assured Services”. He added that SON has taken the lead in developing Nigeria’s National QualityInfrastructure (NQI).
He said SON-MSC had provided the opportunity for Nigerian businesses to enjoy the benefits of internationally accredited Management System Certification services. SON-MSC according to him, would always provide stakeholders the confidence needed for attaining SON’s certification.
SON-MSC will also support stakeholders in the following areas:
- Gain market access
- Manage business risk.
- Satisfy mandatory customer requirements.
- Streamline processes.
- Manage growth.
- Drive continual improvement, etc.
SON-MSC 2020 plans were shared and they are as follows:
- Maintaining accreditation and global recognition.
- Expand scope to cover Information Security Management System (ISO/IEC 27001)
- Business Continuity Management System (ISO22301)
- Hotel and Serviced Accommodation Management System and Rating with guidance for user requirements (NIS 489:2018)
- Energy Management System (ISO 50001:2018)
- Petroleum, Petrochemical & Natural Gas Specific Quality Management System requirement for product and Services (ISO/TS 29001:2010) etc.
SON’s, Director General, Mr Kabiru Muhammed gave the closing remarks. He advised stakeholders to consider the use of local materials and professionally -qualified indigenes for System Certification. He noted that the Local Content Act has continuously played a vital role in the advancement of the national economy.